The Runt-50 is a 50-watt all tube head that delivers Friedman’s legendary tone in a versatile 2-channel amp. The Runt-50 power section is driven by two EL-34s, with four 12AX7s in the preamp. The American-inspired clean channel features volume, bass, treble, and a three-position bright switch that delivers anything from pristine cleans to a slightly broken-up blues/country tone.
The heart and soul of the Runt-50 is the overdrive channel, which will take you from classic rock to all-out assault. Use the Boost switch and Gain knob to dial in the perfect amount of overdrive. A global presence control shapes the high-frequency response of the Runts power section.
The Runt delivers the tight bottom end and midrange that is typically only found in much higher-wattage amps by utilizing custom transformers and the cleanest signal path possible. The Runt is ideal for many styles of music from blues to classic rock and heavy metal by merely adjusting the gain and master controls.
Plugging into the Runt, you will instantly notice the harmonically rich detailed chords and resonating single note lines. This amp cleans up exceptionally well with the guitar’s volume knob, even with the amp on higher gain settings.
This is the first amp Dave Friedman has ever made with a cab-simulated XLR output. Comparing this analog circuit to some of the most intricate computer-based IRs, Dave achieved a direct output you can proudly send to front of house or use in the studio. The XLR output includes a ground-lift, level, and center/edge of speaker cone simulation switches.
This Runt was designed to take pedals well and loves boosts, ODs, phasers, flangers, tremolos, and wahs. The ultra-transparent no tone loss, buffered, series effects loop takes time-based effects pedals and rack units equally well. The head cabinet features beautiful black Tolex, with Baltic birch construction, and is built to withstand the rigors of the road.
RUNT-50 HEAD AT A GLANCE:
- Rich, sparkling American-style clean channel
- Overdrive channel delivers legendary Friedman lead tone
- XLR Cabinet Simulated Output
- Ultra-transparent, buffered, series effects loop
- 50-Watt all tube amplifier
- Two channels
- 2 x EL-34 power tubes
- 4 x 12AX7 preamp tubes
- Clean channel with Volume, Bass, Treble and Bright switch
- Lead channel with Volume, Gain, three-band EQ and a boost switch.
- XLR Cab Simulated output with Ground Lift, Axis and Leve switches.
- Ultra transparent series FX loop
- 4, 8 and 16 ohm impedance selector
- Single button footswitch
- Dimensions 22.5″ (W) x 9.5″ (D) x 9.25″ (H)
- Weight: 31 Lbs.