The legendary Roland RE-201 Space Echo experience in a pedalboard-friendly BOSS compact pedal.
Introduced in 1974 and produced for over 14 years, the Roland RE-201 Space Echo stands among the most legendary and sought-after effect units in music history. Known for its distinctive rhythmic echo sounds, warm character, and highly playable sonic quirks, this tape-based classic continues to inspire musicians, producers, and audio mixers over four decades on.
The RE-2 squeezes the complete sonic character of the RE-201 into the famous BOSS compact pedal format for the first time. An 11-position mode selector provides access to three virtual tape heads with or without spring reverb, and users can balance the echo/reverb blend with independent level knobs. The RE-2 also offers powerful features such a Wow & Flutter control, extended delay time, selectable carryover, stereo I/O, tap tempo, external control support, and more. Every behavior of the RE-201 is accurately replicated, such as the gradual pitch change that occurs with Repeat Rate tweaks and the runaway feedback that happens when maxing the Intensity knob. And with the expressive Wow & Flutter control, you can conjure all the natural modulation characteristics that are essential to the Space Echo sound.
Built for Modern Players
The RE-2 takes the Space Echo experience further with versatile features for today’s music. Delay time has been doubled and tap tempo control is supported, and there’s a cool Twist function for creating evocative special effects as you perform. For the dry sound, you can choose between the warm and fat RE-201 preamp tone or a clean signal with zero processing. Full stereo I/O is available, and it’s possible to mute the dry signal for parallel effect setups and studio use. The RE-2 also supports expanded control via external footswitches or an expression pedal, including continuous pedal control of multiple panel functions at once.
• Authentic sound and behavior of the legendary Roland RE-201 Space Echo in a BOSS compact pedal
• Classic multi-head tape echo sound with expanded delay time
• Original three-head configuration and 11 different sound combinations
• Vintage RE-201 spring reverb sound with modern stereo operation
• Wow & Flutter control for introducing varying levels of natural tape modulation
• Twist effect with footswitch control
• Select between the unprocessed analog dry signal or the modeled sound of the original Space Echo preamp
• Tap tempo and carryover functions
• True stereo input and output
• Expandable control via external footswitches or an expression pedal
• BOSS five-year warranty
Modes: 11 modes
Recommended Load Impedance:
OUTPUT A(MONO), OUTPUT B: 10 k ohms or greater
Bypass: Buffered bypass
INPUT A(MONO) jack, INTPUT B jack, OUTPUT A(MONO) jack, OUTPUT B jack: 1/4-inch phone type
CTL/EXP jack: 1/4-inch TRS phone type
DC IN jack
Power Supply: Alkaline battery (9 V, 6LR61)
AC adaptor (PSA series: sold separately)
Current Draw: 75 mA
Expected battery life under continuous use (may vary depending on the actual conditions of use)
Alkaline: Approx. 4.5 hours
Dimensions (W x D x H): 73 x 129 x 59 mm (2-7/8 x 5-1/8 x 2-3/8 inches)
Weight (including battery): 450 g (1 lb)